autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: test infrastructure [was: suggested workflow for macro testing?]

From: Dustin J. Mitchell
Subject: Re: test infrastructure [was: suggested workflow for macro testing?]
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 12:57:01 -0400

A few points on the patch.

+##
+## NOTE:
+##     In order to debug the tests during the 'distcheck' target use the
+##     following TESTS_ENVIRONMENT:
+##
+##       TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = address@hidden@ DEBUG=x VERBOSE=x
+##
+TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = address@hidden@

why use @..@ here?  $(abs_builddir) is available in the Makefile.

+do_subst = sed \
+       -e 's,address@hidden@],$(abs_builddir),g' \
+       -e 's,address@hidden@],$(SHELL),g'

I can see that this is simpler than an invocation of config.status,
but is also less general.  Consider just writing a generic invocation
of config.status instead?

        $(top_builddir)/config.status --file=$@:$<
        chmod +x $@
        chmod a-w $@

Dustin

P.S. I'm not used to examining patches via email, but the text/x-diff
MIME type doesn't display in my reader for easy commenting with
'reply'.  Is that normal?  FWIW, my usual method on other projects is
to push a temporary topic branch somewhere and ask others to review.

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com