Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 11:26:26 +0100

Hi Vincent,

> Hello Mosè,
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016 !
>
> Concerning the dialect information, to my recollection my problem was just
> that when editing latex2e.texi of the latexrefman project (on GNA!), AUCTeX
> was loading a LaTeX specific automatic style, and this was forcing the
> TeX-font command to work with LaTeX alist rather than Texinfo alist. So my
> primary intent was to solve this issue. Since only Texinfo was suffering, and
> the rest of the world seemed to be happy, I was just meaning :texinfo on the
> one side, and :other-than-texinfo but I just used :latex instead of
> :other-than-texinfo (LaTeX is anyway the dominant TeX extension, isn't it).
>
> To speak the truth:
> - I don't even know what ConTeXt is (is that another TeX extension package
> like plain-TeX, LaTeX, or Texinfo) or is that another engine (like xelatex or
> luatex) … ?

ConTeXt is a TeX macro package, so falls in the first group you mentioned.

> - I never write TeX documents (I use TeX only as a programming language for
> maintaining a few LaTeX packages like lettre or fmtcount).
>
> So, I don't mind at all if TeX-style-hook-dialect would be set to :tex
> instead of :latex for plainTeX files, the only potential issue I can see is
> if some Elisp style file would be used both for plainTeX and for LaTeX (as
> there are generic packages like babel, pgf or pstricks that can run both in
> plainTeX and in LaTeX, so there may be some need to declare Elisp style file
> in a multi-dialect way, and possibly to use the dialect information to
> fine-tune the behaviour).

Indeed this is also a problem that came up to my mind while thinking
about new dialects.  PGF/TikZ can be used in plain-TeX, LaTeX and
ConTeXt, see section 2.2 of documentation, but the core of the package
is just the same for all three "dialects".  Do you think is it easy to
implement specification of  multiple dialects in AUCTeX style files?

> Concerning your idea to use the major mode, well, I am not sure about that
> for the sake of futureproofness, because you could have files where there are
> several dialects together and some major mode that switches the current
> dialect dynamically so that which style hook applies could be tuned. This is
> not the case currently, but what I am meaning is that dialect and major mode
> are not the same information, and that in the future AUCTeX may evolve to use
> the dialect information more dynamically. For instance in DocTeX typically
> you have plain-TeX within the \begin{macrocode}...\end{macrocode} and LaTeX
> outside of them.

This wasn't my best option, I prefer taking the value provided by the
current buffer.

Bye,
Mosè