Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:25:22 +0100

Hello Mosè,

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016 !

Concerning the dialect information, to my recollection my problem was just that
when editing latex2e.texi of the latexrefman project (on GNA!), AUCTeX was
command to work with LaTeX alist rather than Texinfo alist. So my primary
intent was to solve this issue. Since only Texinfo was suffering, and the rest
of the world seemed to be happy, I was just meaning :texinfo on the one side,
and :other-than-texinfo but I just used :latex instead of :other-than-texinfo
(LaTeX is anyway the dominant TeX extension, isn't it).

To speak the truth:
- I don't even know what ConTeXt is (is that another TeX extension package like
plain-TeX, LaTeX, or Texinfo) or is that another engine (like xelatex or
luatex) … ?
- I never write TeX documents (I use TeX only as a programming language for
maintaining a few LaTeX packages like lettre or fmtcount).

So, I don't mind at all if TeX-style-hook-dialect would be set to :tex instead
of :latex for plainTeX files, the only potential issue I can see is if some
Elisp style file would be used both for plainTeX and for LaTeX (as there are
generic packages like babel, pgf or pstricks that can run both in plainTeX and
in LaTeX, so there may be some need to declare Elisp style file in a
multi-dialect way, and possibly to use the dialect information to fine-tune the
behaviour).

Concerning your idea to use the major mode, well, I am not sure about that for
the sake of futureproofness, because you could have files where there are
several dialects together and some major mode that switches the current dialect
dynamically so that which style hook applies could be tuned. This is not the
case currently, but what I am meaning is that dialect and major mode are not
the same information, and that in the future AUCTeX may evolve to use the
dialect information more dynamically. For instance in DocTeX typically you have
plain-TeX within the \begin{macrocode}...\end{macrocode} and LaTeX outside of
them.

BR,
   Vincent.