Re: [AUCTeX] Parsing first line

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Parsing first line
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:50:16 +0100

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>>> (One of) The main problem was how to share such variable across
>>> multiple files of the same document (store it in the auto file?),
>>> but there is the same problem for other variables like
>>> `TeX-engine'.4
>>
>> Is that necessary?  I mean, tex commands are either invoked on the
>> master file or the region file, where in both cases the local vars of
>> the master file's buffer are in effect, no?
>
> Well, I should check it again,

Please do that.  I don't really know because I tend to use only single
file documents (maybe with the preamble in a separate file).

> but I think those variables are evaluated in the buffer calling the
> commands, not in the master file.

If that's the case, I'd suggest that we change that and alway call them
from the master file buffer.  Otherwise, we need to make many
buffer-local variables (TeX-engine, extra-options, ...) document-local
by stuffing them into the auto file.  Or do you see a use-case where one
wants to use different values for one of such variables when invoking a
command from, e.g., chapter01.tex, as opposed to main.tex?

Bye,
Tassilo