[AUCTeX] Re: switching fonts

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: switching fonts
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:32:25 -0500

juan mari alberdi wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:38:28 +0100, Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:27:47PM +0100, juan mari alberdi wrote:
Please, could anyone try this example and comment on the result?

probably what you're seeing is described in this faq:

<http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=2letterfontcmd>

HTH

Thank you Joost, I've read your faq but I didn't find there an answer to my results.

In the second instance of my example,

\texbf{mamma \textrm{mia} mamma}

I don't get the word `mia' in roman, all the sentence is in bold. The other three instances are alright.

Your question is probably more appropriate for comp.text.tex than here, but what you're describing is expected behavior. \textrm invokes a font *family*, while \textbf invokes a font *series* (and a command like \textit invokes a font *shape*). Changing the series does not change the family, and changing the family does not change the series. That is, \textrm specifies roman family and nothing more -- if the surrounding text is bold, so will be the text enclosed by \textrm. Try:

\textsf{\textbf{momma \textrm{mia} momma}}

for an illustrative example.

Alan