[AUCTeX] 11.84 and emacs 22.09x issues on win box

From: Nathaniel Beck
Subject: [AUCTeX] 11.84 and emacs 22.09x issues on win box
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:25:26 -0500

Hi

One issue has arisen with my move to 11.84, another has been around ever since i moved to emacs 22.09x. Both are on xp boxes using the precompiled binaries from the auctex site.

1. After installing 11.84, I made a new .emacs to change the behavior of the command menu so at to eliminate commands i never use and add acrobat viewing as a command. All works fine, except that acrobat opens but complains it cannot find the specified file.

.emacs (new constructed, but syntax copied from older .emacs) is attached, all works fine except for acrobat not being able to find %s.pdf.

2. The persisting problem is that emacs crashes on me quite predictably. It is always in the following situation: I have used my external spell checker (called from emacs edit menu), but on returning have tried to latex without saving first. emacs asks me if I want to save, I say yes, it saves and then starts to compile, but 3 or 4 seconds into compilation, emacs crashes with the windows "sorry, had to shutdown this program" message. If I manually save the file first with cntrl-s, all works fine. The crash without saving occurs about half the time. Has anyone else seen this or have any idea about a fix.

Thanks for any help, and thanks to all for auctex!

neal

Nathaniel Beck
Chair, Department of Politics
19 W. 4th St., Second Floor