Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with the syntax highlighting color

From: thomas
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with the syntax highlighting color
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:25:14 +0200

On 4/30/06, thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4/30/06, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
> * thomas (2006-04-30) writes:
>
> > I have a newbie question: the background of my emacs is black, and
> > when I'm typing, the syntax highlighting prevents me from seeing what
> > I type.
> > For instance:
> > I type \     =>     I see a grey \
> > I type u     =>    I see nothing
> > I type sepackag     =>     nothing
> > I type e     =>     I see \usepackage
> > What must I change in my ~/.emacs to see what I am typing?
>
> Ideally you shouldn't have to change anything.

> What versions of Emacs and AUCTeX are you using?
emacs  21.4a-3
auctex 11.82-1

> Do you start Emacs in a terminal or on X?
In a terminal (rxvt-unicode).

> How do you set foreground and background colors?
In my ~/.Xdefaults I have the following for my terminal:
urxvt*background:       #000000
urxvt*foreground:       #ffffff
I have nothing related to emacs colors in ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.emacs.

> Please use `M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET' next time when reporting a
> bug or similar.  This automatically adds some of the above information
> to the report.
Ok, it is here : http://siteouebe.free.fr/public/tex-submit-bug-report

By the way I added a little screenshot :
http://siteouebe.free.fr/public/auctex.jpg
See the problem when I am working with emacs/auctex in a terminal with
a black background.

I have found a workaround:
I have added the following lines to my ~/.emacs file:
(set-background-color "black")
(set-foreground-color "white")
There are useless for a normal use of emacs, since the background was
already black and the foreground already white, but it solves the
problem with auctex: the latter does not use a black font anymore to
highlight the text.

Bye
/thomas