Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with the syntax highlighting color

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with the syntax highlighting color
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:28:29 +0200

* thomas (2006-04-30) writes:

> On 4/30/06, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
>> * thomas (2006-04-30) writes:
>>
>> > I have a newbie question: the background of my emacs is black, and
>> > when I'm typing, the syntax highlighting prevents me from seeing what
>> > I type.
[...]
>> Do you start Emacs in a terminal or on X?
> In a terminal (rxvt-unicode).
>
>> How do you set foreground and background colors?
> In my ~/.Xdefaults I have the following for my terminal:
> urxvt*background:     #000000
> urxvt*foreground:     #ffffff
> I have nothing related to emacs colors in ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.emacs.

Emacs somehow has to know which type of background (light or dark) you
are using.  You have at least three options for telling it:

  1) Start Emacs with `emacs -bg black'.

  2) Do `M-x customize-variable RET frame-background-mode RET', set it
     to `dark' and save it.

  3) Change the COLORFGBG environment variable to match the colors of
     your rxvt terminal.

All of this is not documented very well.  Some of this information can
be found in the doc string of the internal variable
`default-frame-background-mode' in development versions of Emacs.