Re: [AUCTeX] Trailing whitespace and RET

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Trailing whitespace and RET
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:51:30 +0100

Uwe Siart <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I found that AUCTeX eats up trailing whitespace in the current line
> after pressing RET. In case this is a wanted behaviour: Can it be
> customized if it was undesired?

Could you tell why you would think it a desired behavior?  TeX's input
mechanisms makes those spaces completely inaccessible regardless of
catcodes.  For example, if you write

\begin{verbatim*}

\end{verbatim*}

(in case the mail client swallowed it, those are four spaces in every
line), no spaces get output at all.

I don't know whether AUCTeX actually does anything in that regard, but
you will _never_ get any space at the end of the line to get through
to TeX itself.  So what situation causes you trouble?