Re: [AUCTeX] add to a key stroke: texify --tex-opt=--src --quiet %t"

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] add to a key stroke: texify --tex-opt=--src --quiet %t"
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:44:59 +0200

* Stefan Pofahl (2005-09-05) writes:

> On 5 Sep 2005 at 11:38, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> Maybe it helps reading the doc string of `TeX-command', especially
>> what it expects as its second argument.
>>
> Sorry Ralf,
>
> the explanation:
> (TeX-command NAME FILE &optional OVERRIDE-CONFIRM)
>
> Documentation:
> Run command NAME on the file you get by calling FILE.
>
> FILE is a function return a file name.  It has one optional argument,
> the extension to use on the file.
>
> is not helping me :-(

It expects the symbol of a function returning a file name.  You
cannot throw random garbage at it.

> Why can I not use the placeholder %t?

"%t" is used in strings which are parsed by `TeX-command-expand' and
the related machinery.  It has no meaning outside of such context.

> And how can I make use of the function:
> `TeX-active-buffer' is a compiled Lisp function
>   -- loaded from "tex-buf"
> (TeX-active-buffer)
>
> Documentation:
> Return the buffer of the active process for this buffer.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to do with that function.  It
returns the name of an output buffer, i.e. the buffer the active
process writes its output to.  That has barely anything to do with
invoking a command on the document, a buffer or a region.

The way to go is to call `TeX-command' with `TeX-master-file' or
`TeX-region-file' symbols depending on what you want to achieve.  You
could do this with several independent functions with different key
bindings or you could use one function with one key binding and
different prefixes.