[AUCTeX-devel] Configure option --prefix seems broken partially (was Re:

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Configure option --prefix seems broken partially (was Re: reftex-reference not including autoref)
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:54:09 +0900

Hi all, I'm replying to a very old thread.

It seems that configure option --prefix is broken partially so that
non-privileged users have difficulties at installing AUCTeX under home
directory.

>> I guess I'm doing something wrong when building it from git? Here's
>> what I currently do:

>> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/auctex.git ~/.emacs.d/lib/auctex
>> cd ~/.emacs.d/lib/auctex
>> ./autogen.sh
>> .configure --prefix=$HOME
>> make

> I guess that you didn't issue `make install' and
...(snip)...

Actually I didn't try it by myself when I wrote this sentence.  I just
recently realized that `make install' following the above procedure does
not work as expected.

After a similar procedure with
      env MAKE=gmake ./autogen.sh
      env MAKE=gmake ./configure --prefix=$HOME
instead of `./autogen.sh' and `./configure --prefix=$HOME' because I
have installed GNU make as gmake, my Makefile is:

...(snip)...
prefix = /home/keita$(null)
exec_prefix = ${prefix}$(null)
libdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib$(null)
packagedatadir = /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex$(null)
datarootdir = ${prefix}/share$(null)
datadir = ${datarootdir}$(null)
localstatedir = ${prefix}/var$(null)
infodir = ${datarootdir}/info$(null)
lispdir = /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp$(null)
auctexstartfile=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex.el
previewstartfile = /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/preview-latex.el
packagelispdir = /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex$(null)
packagedatadir = /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex$(null)
packagedir = no$(null)
autodir = ${localstatedir}/auctex$(null)
preview_enabled=yes
styledir = $(packagedatadir)/style
...(snip)...

Note that there are several lines which assign absolute paths,
overriding the --prefix option, to the make variables.  Thus lisp files
don't go under the home directory but are rejected to install under
"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" during `make install' without admin
privilege.  This would be uncomfortable for users who try to install git
development version under their home directories.

I think this situation is not compatible with what is written in the
section "Installation for non-privileged users" in INSTALL (or
doc/install.texi).

Shouln't `configure' (or `configure.ac'?) be rewritten to respect
--prefix option for determining the install location of lisp files?  Or,
alternaitively, is it the AUCTeX documents that should be revised?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita