[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:45:48 +0200

On Sat, Apr 09 2005, David Kastrup wrote:

> So in the case of titles, sectioning and similar, I think we really
> should adapt the line breaking to match the font size.  It is much
> more problematic what to do when working with small print.
>
> Maybe we should really have _two_ values of fill-column, one for
> ASCII, and one for the graphic display...

I don't understand your suggestion.

> Anyway, I think we _definitely_ should break title lines according to
> their visual representation.  We don't want AUCTeX to format stuff in
> a way that makes it look worst under AUCTeX.

If the smaller sectioning `fill-column' is calculated _dynamically_,
filling would change (even if with identical user settings) depending
on depending on the properties on the _current_ display.  I'm not
enthusiastic about this idea[1].  When using a different fill-column,
it should not depend on display properties, I think.

> A somewhat shorter ASCII filling here is definitely something we can
> live with.

I agree.

But this would not make LaTeX documents of non-AUCTeX users (or older
"AUCTeX documents") look good in AUCTeX even for well-filled documents
(e.g. then the length of the section line is close to 80 characters).

Bye, Reiner.

[1] Exaggeration: It reminds me of the stories about MS Word documents
    where the page breaks move around depending on the phase of the
    moon.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)