Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:04:44 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Reiner Steib (2005-04-08) writes:

>>> In such cases I tend to format the lines in concern manually.
>>
>> This would result in a document which looks nice only with AUCTeX and
>> specific font settings.  I think we had a discussion about this (WRT
>> filling with tex-fold or preview-latex) and IIRC we agreed that this
>> is not a good idea.
>
> David explained this point quite good.  I am thinking as well that the
> effect of smaller fill columns for headings is a minor issue.
>
> Regarding the implementation: Currently I don't know how to do this in
> AUCTeX because I could not find a way to calculate an appropriate
> column for breaking a line in headings fontified with a larger,
> ... nothing seems to support this.

I find this in indent.c:

double
current_column ()
{
[...]

  if (PT == last_known_column_point
      && MODIFF == last_known_column_modified)
    return last_known_column;

  /* If the buffer has overlays, text properties,
     or multibyte characters, use a more general algorithm.  */
  if (BUF_INTERVALS (current_buffer)
      || current_buffer->overlays_before
      || current_buffer->overlays_after
      || Z != Z_BYTE)
    return current_column_1 ();
[...]

So it would definitely seem like current-column is _supposed_ to take
sich things into account.

If it doesn't, wouldn't that be good for a bug report?