aspell-user

[Aspell-user] Special characters in a custom dictionary will break the s

From: Skip Ernst
Subject: [Aspell-user] Special characters in a custom dictionary will break the spell check.
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem using Aspell in conjunction with the FCKeditor on linux. I have added a custom dictionary and that's where the problem lies.

The spell check works great until any word that contains a character other than letters or the ' (single quote) is added to my custom dictionary. For instance, once a word like "resumé" is added, the spell check fails and gives an error alert like this:

Error executing '/usr/bin/aspell -a --land=en_US --encoding=utf-8 -H --add-extra-dicts=/usr/bin/webroot/dicts/.aspell_4.en.pws < ./aspell_data_9UpGxQ 2 >&1'
Error: p??   ??     "resumé" is invalid. The character '?' may not appear at the end of a word.

I don't understand why Aspell would fail when using UTF-8. I have tried setting the LC_ALL environment variable prior to executing Aspell, but no luck. The spell check basically gives the same error (the only difference is in bold):

Error executing 'LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/bin/aspell -a --land=en_US --encoding=utf-8 -H --add-extra-dicts=/usr/bin/webroot/dicts/.aspell_4.en.pws < ./aspell_data_9UpGxQ 2 >&1'
Error: p??   ??     "resumé" is invalid. The character '?' may not appear at the end of a word.

If anyone has a similar experience and has gotten this working, please help. I'm pulling my hair out here.