aspell-user

[Aspell-user] LGPL dictionaries in a proprietary application.

From: Sebastiaan Visser
Subject: [Aspell-user] LGPL dictionaries in a proprietary application.
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:30:47 +0200

Hello,

I am working as a developer for a company that is creating a (proprietary) web based XML editor and I have been busy implementing a custom spell checker for this application. The only thing we need to get it working is a bunch of dictionary files.

Because I am unable to figure out how to interpret the GNU Lesser General Public Licence for something other than source-code I decided to ask it directly at the aspell mailing list.

Can we use the uncompressed aspell LGPL'ed dictionary files (the plain text wordlists) to compile them to our own format (with our own processor) and ship these compiled files with our proprietary application?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan Visser.