aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] aspell munch-list multi < american-words.35 fails with

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] aspell munch-list multi < american-words.35 fails with an exception ver 0.61 from cvs
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:11:17 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Gary Setter wrote:

Hi,
I built aspell from the MAIN branch of cvs,
ran the command 'aspell munch-list multi < american-words.35',
and receive an exception.
The word list is from one of the cwl files on the aspell.net
site.

This file looks like it is coming from SCOWL.  Is this correct?

What is interesting about the list is that it has words with
suffixes, but not the base word. For example: eviler evilest but
not evil.
The problem is in function munch_list_complete() in module
much_list.cpp. It has vectors called to_keep_exp and to_keep.
Evil is not in the list, and is not stored in to_keep, but it is
added to to_keep_exp. In the last loop, we iterate over all the
values of to_keep_exp and we assume that for each element of
to_keep_exp there is an element of to_keep_exp. This is unsafe
code that results in a crash. The line number is 707.

I would like to submit a patch, rather then a bug report. Please
let me know if this is a known bug and being worked on.

No it is not.

BTW, this code seems a lot more complex then the task requires. I
would appreciate others comments on that as well. Was this
initially written in a language that did not support recursion
perhaps?

Do you mean the code in question that is causing the bug or the entire munch_list_complete function?

Do you think munch_list_simple is adequate?