aspell-user

[Aspell-user] Re: Using Aspell

From: Jon Ericson
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: Using Aspell
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:42:55 -0800

"Ryan. Costello, Jr" <address@hidden> writes:

> I downloaded Ispell and tried to use it, but the file type was
> unrecognized by my computer. So I tried to download Aspell, only to
> find it was the same file type. How do I run Aspell on my computer?
> Can I plug it into my Word dictionary? I've downloaded a few Spanish
> spell checks lately, and none have worked thus fare. I hope you can
> help.

Aspell (and ispell) are normally released as source code only.  That
means you need a compiler to build an executable that your computer
will recognize.  There is a free C compiler (along with a fairly
complete set of developer tools) available at http://www.cygwin.com.
Be warned: it will require some work to be able to build and use
Aspell.  A competent computer programmer could probably get it running
in a couple of hours, but most computer users would need to learn a
lot first.

Sadly, you are stuck with the dictionary (and spell check algorithm)
provided with Word.  Aspell works with other editors and on its own,
but not with Word.  This is one of the (many) limitations of Word.
Sorry.

Aspell *does* have a Spanish dictionary.  It works pretty well for me
the few times I've used it.  For a gringo, such as myself, it's nice
to have something to add accents that I don't remember.

Jon
--
If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any
other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home