aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] Wordlist question and converting aspell to hunspell

From: Andriy Rysin
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Wordlist question and converting aspell to hunspell
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:26:25 -0400

Hi Neskie

you can release under the license you wish as long as you have the
permission the wordlist you're using. I'd say GPL is one of the
default choises many dictionaries use if your source data permits it.

As for the hunspell it's much easier to create than aspell
dictionaries - you just have to have a wordlist (in plain text)
possibly with affix flags attached to words and the affix file. I'd
say the easiest is to take a look at any existing hunspell
dictionaries to figure out the format.
Though if you need any extra features of hunspell (e.g. ignore some
symbols when  spellchecking) then you'll need to read a bit of the
docs.

Also for hunspell dictionaries if you want your dictionary to be
included in the official Firefox  packages you may have to apply MPL
license (I don't quite remember what one needs for OpenOffice.org but
could be LGPL is enough).

Good luck,
Andriy