aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] ANNOUNCE: GNU Aspell 0.50.3 <-- :) (win32 build)

From: Thorsten Maerz
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] ANNOUNCE: GNU Aspell 0.50.3 <-- :) (win32 build)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:44:14 +0100

Hi Kevin,

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:11:23 -0500 (EST) Kevin Atkinson
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Aspell 0.50.3 is now Available.

Congrats!

I've also updated the mingw win32 binaries and makefiles, they are
available for download at [1].

For those interested in compiled dictionaries: The GAIM/win32 project
[2] hosts a complete set (using a win32 installer). I had no contact
with those guys yet, so maybe I should ask them for a common install
dir or even zip'ed dictionaries, so *nix people can use them, too.

The attached mingw-changes.diff contains following changes:
  - modules/speller/default/readonly_ws.cpp
    OUT already defined by mingw-gcc
  - common/info.cpp
    ERROR already defined by mingw-gcc
  - common/iostream.hpp
    Linking problems in aspell.exe with mingw-gcc, caused by dllimport.
    Cygwin's linker still insists on this setting, so I suggest to
    remove the "defined (_WIN32)" check.
  - prog/aspell.cpp
    Pipemode (-a) failed, because setvbuf() doesn't accept zero bufsize
    on win32. The fix isn't tested with other apps, as I don't know any,
    that has been ported.
What do you think of including these diffs?

What do you think of including the win32 tree (from [1]) into ASpell
  (i.e. Makefile, settings.h, Readme-win32.txt)?
- A build using configure/autotools (if this should work for mingw one
  day) depends on a quite complex setup. An additional standalone
  Makefile is a quite common solution.
- It could also contain the Visual C diffs / build files (if they
  should be included).

Btw, the --enable-relocatable description in your Readme is a bit wrong:
The bin dir detection is not included in your sources, only the changed
home dir. Anyway, the bin dir detection from the ASpell-0.33 patch only
worked for "aspell config", but not for other commands, e.g. "check"
(when applied to 0.50).

Anyway, thanks for your work
and best regards,

Thorsten