antbear-devel

Re: [Antbear-devel] performance architecture- threads (Warning- long!!!)

From: Daniel Ng
Subject: Re: [Antbear-devel] performance architecture- threads (Warning- long!!!)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:30:13 -0800 (PST)

> Did we decide yet on how SUPPORTERs are going to
> query the serverlists?
> To be more clear, will a SUPPORTER update
> information on servers from
> the complete list or will a MASTER antbear provide a
> SUPPORTER only with
> a limited number of addresses?
>
> I would say a SUPPORTER will get a complete list of
> gameservers.  It can
> then update information on random servers.  This
> would mean that there
> is no need for a MASTER antbear to portion out the
> workload on all
> SUPPORTERs.  Just an idea.

I thought a Supporter would only be responsible for
any new Gameservers it discovers and tells the Master
of. I guess this would be too difficult unless the
Gameservers know of the Supporter and registers with
it.

Also, I now think the main purpose of Supporters is
for sharing the processing load of monitoring existing
known Gameservers, rather than for being an extension
of the Master's "ears" for listening for new
Gameservers. Is this right?

I think we will need a more concrete algorithm for
distributing responsibility for Gameservers among
Supporters, but for this early stage, I think the idea
of supporting random servers is ok...

Daniel