antbear-devel

Re: [Antbear-devel] performance architecture- threads (Warning- long!!!)

From: wolpers
Subject: Re: [Antbear-devel] performance architecture- threads (Warning- long!!!)
Date: 18 Nov 2002 17:09:30 +0100

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 15:32, Daniel Ng wrote:

> --- wolpers <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 21:35, Daniel Ng wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 00:15, Daniel Ng wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > ... plus (optional, but per default ON I would
> > say) a
> > > list cloned from
> > > an official masterserver, if the antbear is
> > running on
> > > the internet and
> > > not a LAN .
> > >
> > > [DAN SAYS:]
> > >
> > > But why would we need to do this, unless you are
> > > saying this is a second
> > > Master which needs a complete list of Gameservers?
> > > This is because only
> > > the Master needs a complete list of Gameservers,
> > > right?
> >
> > Yes, only the MASTER does need a complete list of
> > gameservers (*) since
> > he is the one clients will ask for the list.
> > I am not sure if we are talking about the same issue
> > here.  The antbear
> > MASTER will keep a list of gameservers together with
> > detailed
> > information on each gameserver.  Normally
> > gameservers would register
> > themselves at the master so that clients will
> > actually be able to find
> > that gameserver.  This of course will only work if
> > the gameservers do
> > know about the antbear.  On the internet this is
> > probably not going to
> > be the case, so we need to get the list of
> > gameservers from another
> > resource - an official masterserver that is.
>
> Ok, I see...so this would be the same way Supporters
> would contact Gameservers? Wouldn't this mean that
> every Antbear (master/supporter) would require its own
> official masterserver to clone its original Gameserver
> list from?

Yes.  If an antbear is running on the 'wild' internet he would need a
cloned list.  So a MASTER on the net would clone a list from an official
masterserver (unless it is configured to not do so for whatever reason).
Running a MASTER antbear without a cloned list is probably only useful
for a LAN .
A supporter needs of course a list of servers, too.  Best thing for a
supporter to do is receiving a list from its MASTER antbear I would say.

Did we decide yet on how SUPPORTERs are going to query the serverlists?
To be more clear, will a SUPPORTER update information on servers from
the complete list or will a MASTER antbear provide a SUPPORTER only with
a limited number of addresses?

I would say a SUPPORTER will get a complete list of gameservers.  It can
then update information on random servers.  This would mean that there
is no need for a MASTER antbear to portion out the workload on all
SUPPORTERs.  Just an idea.

- Thorsten