adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Gameworld design

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Gameworld design
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:37:13 +0000

Kai Sterker wrote:

> I've been playing some Ultima 9 lately, and although it is the second
> time, I find it still very addicting. I also played Arcanum, but gave up
> after a few days. Without going into details, I think the good thing
> about U9 is that it has a great gameworld, where it is fun to walk
> around and explore stuff beside the actual plot. Aside from the
> locations needed by the plot there are tons of interesting places:
> caves, bandit/goblin camps, ruins/empty buildings etc. Most of them
> don't contain much of interest (usually some gold or potion or crappy
> weapon), but you'll never know unless you go and see for yourself.
> And every now and then you'll find a really cool item.
>
> I think we should do the same. We had that discussion on last irc
> meeting about size and distances. I would make the gameworld rather
> small, as travelling from A to B is usually boring. (Leaving direct
> 'teleportation' away for the moment.)
>
> Lets take the route Waste's Edge - Uzdun'kal for example. Normally, it
> would be a weeks journey. We can't create that without some kind of
> overworld map, but I personally think that realism isn't needed here.
> It's more important to have good and addictive gameplay. So I suggest to
> simply leave all uninteresting bits along the way away. Then we'd have a
> condensed, possibly exaggerated version of that route. But that will
> make the journey much more interesting than a 'realistic' version.
>
> It's also important to have many things to explore along the way. If you
> walk there the first time, and want to find all the good stuff, you'll
> spend quite a while searching the odd cave or trail next to the main
> road. I believe that will create the impression of distance without the
> need of making ways too long. Once you know everything you can get fast
> from one place to the other without looking left or right.
>
> Here are a number of ideas for 'distractions' along the way:
>
> * A small path leads up to a valley where a shepard asks you to hunt
>   down some wolves that threaten his sheep.
>
> * The way goes straight through an old mine, but there are a number of
>   tunnels to explore and some stuff to find. Some might lead to other
>   exits. For example a small beach down the river, next to a sandbank
>   with a wrecked ship upon it. Or on top of a plateau with an old
>   lookout.
>
> * At a point the way could be blocked by an avalanche or something and
>   you have to climb/jump up some walls and over gaps to get past.
>
> * Here and there it could be possible to follow some small trails or
>   climb up somewhere to find a shortcut or avert attackers on the road.
>   One might also lead to a natural cave with some hidden stuff.
>
> * A number of 'special' places with special gfx (e.g. a waterfall next
>   to the road or a circle of stones on top of a hill) as eye-candy.
>
> Guess you get the idea. We'll have to make the terrain as diverse as
> possible, with a new sight or place to explore every couple of screens.
> [...]

Yes, I like those ideas a lot. I know we can't create the kind of
distance that would take a week to travel, but I think if we had the
distractions you mentioned above seperated by short
not-quite-so-interesting stretches (perhaps with some random eye-candy
like you described) we'd still get a reasonable distance together and I
think that would be fine!

I've got exams next Satrday and I'll be finished on the 12.6, so until
then I can't really get stuck in. I am looking forward to making gfx
again and I'm looking forward even more to making maps again!

        -James

PS: A few more ideas to add to your list above:

        -funny road signs
        -other travellers you can chat to with interesting/funny stories
        -YETIs!!

--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821