Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 04:50:43 +0200

On 8/31/06, Joël Vennin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello guys ...

Hey ... nice hearing from you Joel!

About build tools, I've tested and used SCons for a while, however scons is
very slow to determine dependency between files. However, the second that
Alex proposed is pretty much. I use it for every project I realized. It works
on every unix/mac and zindoz ...

So if we have to change Build tools, we should select CMake (just remember
that CMake is now used by the Kde community).

I'd be fine with that. As it seems, both Eclipse and XCode work well
with external build tools, so no problems there. And if it's
cross-platform like make, then there is no reason to not try it.

Kai you seem to be always in action !

Wish I was ;-). I'm quite motivated right now, however (even more
since I'm hearing news from you guys). So leaving the Mac alone for a
moment, I'm concentrating on getting a windows build right now. I have
cygwin set up (but am going to use the mingw compiler) and managed to
compile and link v0.3. (Can't get it to run though). In doing so I'm
compiling a README.win32, for Andrew and anybody else wanting to do
development work on windows. I might have to do that myself, as I only
have the iBook with me (which I'm sharing with my wife) and my
company's laptop with only windows on it. So if I want to be flexible,
I should better get stuff working there as well.

As it turns out, it's not sufficient to use the stuff that comes with
cygwin (which I did in my current attempt), instead it will be
required to compile everything with mingw. So I will start with a
fresh, minimum cygwin installation and make a second try. I'll let you
know how that goes.