Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Brief update ...
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:16:31 -0700

On 8/25/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:

Maybe our machines will even use quantum processors by then! :p

Which will probably have very weird endianness, I guess ;-).

I think that our building system (good old autoconf/automake) is just
obsolete right now. I've been able to look at some other building
solutions (cmake, scons, ...) and they just seem much better (suppport
for real Windows development tools like *gasp* Visual Studio, better
portability, shorter building configuration files, and so on). I think
I'll evaluate them on 0.4, as a way to get back into it.

Well, autoconf/automake are okay on unix, although it sometimes is a
hassle to use them together with an IDE. So I for one am curious what
those you mentioned can do ...

And now that SDL finally seems to have a decent OpenGL backend, I
suddently have renewed interest in graphical programming.

That would be SDL 1.3, right? Only saw this yesterday, but haven't
tried it out yet, as OSX support seems still work in progress.

So, Alex back to code? Yeah, almost. ;)

That's so great! :-). Maybe I manage to catch you on jabber one of
these days. However, my timezone since moving is GMT-7, so it's not as
easy as it used to be.

As for my plan, I installed subversion (another thing to consider
instead of CVS) to checkout latest 1.2 SDL, installed some missing
development stuff and build a universal binary of SDL. All that
without much difficulties. Now I'll probably need to do the same for
all the other libraries we're using (there's comes a handy script for
that with SDL) and finally build Adonthell. What it does in fact is
doing 2 builds with different compiler settings (ppc vs. x86) and then
call a tool to merge the build result into a single file. So I'm
confident that I can do that fairly quickly.