Re: [Adonthell-devel] Well, back to work

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Well, back to work
Date: 30 Apr 2002 09:36:29 +0200

> > Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I think I will get back into the
> > item / inventory / combat code, which was what I was working on before.

Don't forget to have a look at what else has been achieved in this area
too. About items, we'll probably use a Python description mechanism for
the different kinds of objects that looks very sexy. Thorsten is
involved in it for now, you can find some test code in src/tools/combat
(in the 0.4 branch). There has been a big discussion about the
implementation details, which I can't find back in the archives :/ (we
should keep a track of such interesting mails) Also look at the recent
mails, as Thorsten has published a first draft of the inventory/item
interface.

About combat, things have been heavily discussed as well, but once again
I can't find it back. (we need to copy/past such stuff somewhere) No
real work has been started there apart from Mike's one, and I don't know
whether he's still with us or no. So maybe you'll want to look further
in this area. The fights will eventually take place on the new map
engine, but it is not mandatory to wait for its completion to start
working on the combat stuff, I think. Maybe some basic items/inventory
system will be needed though, but Thorsten seems to come quickly with
it.

> Oh, and that networking code looks like another thing that I would be
> both interested in and good at. I have done a lot of network stuff this
> year.

Yep, that might be interesting, as we're definitely going to have some
network play. The most "networkable" part is probably the new map
engine. But despite of the fact classes are separated to be able to
communicate with each other and work independantly (for the server
side), we have not started any real discussion about the communications.
What to send, in which form, etc. Guess this would be needed before
implementing anything.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org