ada-mode-users

Re: [Ada-mode-users] Indentation of parameter list at start of line

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Ada-mode-users] Indentation of parameter list at start of line
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:45:53 -0500

Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> ada-mode 5.0 indents the opening parenthesis by ada-indent - 1
> relative to the line containing the "function" or "procedure" keyword:
>
> function F
>   (Param : Integer) return Boolean;
>
> By default, ada-indent is 3 and so the opening parenthesis is indented
> by 2 relative to "function".  This is hardcoded in ada-wisi.el, line
> 409, IIUC.

Yes. This is to make subsequent lines be indented by ada-indent.

> We have set ada-indent to 2 and we would like to have the opening
> parenthesis indented by 2, not 1.  I think this would require a new
> custom variable that gets set by default to ada-indent - 1.  Am I
> correct?

That would be one way.

However, in other cases, ( is indented by ada-indent-broken. When
ada-indent = 3 and  ada-indent-broken = 2, the distinction is moot.

Since those are the settings I test with, and that most people use, we
can just change it so ( is always indented by ada-indent-broken.

Would that work for you?

I'm currently doing significant clean up in the ada-wisi.el indent code,
in branch o.e.a.stephe-4. That version makes it much clearer what is going
on here.

As of 84c833df1fbe6c0179ffb6501bf342dc547d9411, all the indent tests
pass, with only a few minor changes from the o.e.ada-mode test cases.

So if you want to actually try this change, I suggest you do it on
o.e.a.stephe-4, near line 406 in ada-wisi.el; just delete the special
case that uses (1- ada-indent).

I have more cleanup to do in that branch, so this is not a formal
request for wide testing of it.

--
-- Stephe