ac-archive-maintainers

Re: News about the macro archive

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: News about the macro archive
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:45:53 +1100

Hi Peter

On 28/01/2005, at 12:35 AM, Peter Simons wrote:

Tom Howard writes:

Well, I hope you enjoy the flaming as it can serve no
other purpose. My question to you is how did a discussion
become and flaming?

It became flaming at the point where I had the impression
that you (and others) were attacking me personally. That
impression I have is very closely related to reading
statements that are FACTUALLY UNTRUE. So if you don't want
this to be flaming, try to talk about things that match the
facts, then nothing will happen.

I you want to call me a liar (or imply that I am one), please be decent enough to refer to the exact points where I lied.

From this end it became a flaming when I dared to try to convince you that a verbose license statement would be better then just a keyword. The stupid thing is that all you had to say was "Yeah mate, I agree, but I want to use the keyword for the moment and then when all the changes are complete switch them a verbose license." To which I would have said "Sweet, let me wait till the modules file is updated before I commit, because that way I can have it generate a nice ChangeLog entry for us" and who knows how it would have progressed from there. Instead you argue for (what seemed like) ages about how you wanted just the keyword, before say (in effect) "BTW you know those keywords will be converted to verbose, don't you?"

I've made the licence changes that you requested (and as
your requested).

I am sorry, but it is a little late for that.

Yes, but only because instead of having a proper discussion, you got annoyed and made the changes yourself.

In most cases and forking of an open source project
indicates a failure at some level. For a project as small
as this it indicates a significant failure, and it seams
like something that you have no interest in rectifying.

For me, a project's success or failure is determined by the
quality of the result. The GNU Autoconf Macro Archive
provides a useful service. If it didn't, we would hardly put
all this passion into the discussions, would we? Who cares
about a project that isn't useful?

We have different measures. I for one rate usefulness to users very highly, not to imply that the GNU archive is not useful (I think we all agree that is is), just that (at least until recently; I haven't had time to evaluate all the changes) it could be *more* useful.

You are right that a fork may be regarded as a failure
insofar as that I didn't manage to integrate Guido
successfully in the project I was running already when he
showed up. I am willing to accept _half_ the responsibility
for that. However, that's the past, and it can't be changed.
My focus is on improving the archive I _have_; not the one I
could have had or should have had.

I stated my motives quite early in the piece. The only way I can see of achieving that is to help improve the archive. I think adding the build files (well added make install support) is the biggest step towards that.

Whatever. The gnu archive is high ranked.

I appreciate it when people admit that they were wrong.
Thank you for that.

And I would appreciate likewise if you admitted moving all the files you knew I was working on without telling me was wrong. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

You don't think having two archive is a mess?

I used to, but I don't think that anymore. The ideas I have
for the Autoconf Macro Archive seem to vary wildly from the
ones other people have. Since this is a project I do in my
spare time, I am not interested in going through the immense
effort of finding consensus, I am interested in running the
archive I want to run.

I see this is where we differ most on opinions. For my projects, it's all about the community that surrounds it, for the GNU archive, it's all about you. At least that's how I read the above. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So if you (or anyone else) has great ideas that I won't
accept for whatever reason, I encourage you to set them up
nonetheless. You can use branches in CVS and subdirectories
on the web site, or you can run it on sf.net, or you can run
it anywhere else. As long as it doesn't interfere with my
work, I don't mind at all.

Did I ever "interfere" with your work?

Seeing that people go through the effort of actually _doing_
what they talk about is a much more persuasive argument to
reconsider my opinions than lots of postings on a mailing
list are.

I was waiting for the modules file to be updated before I committed the license changes and by the time that happened you had moved anything. I was never told there was a time frame in which the changes had to be made by.

In a bizarre way, I have to give Guido a lot of credit for
what he did back then. He didn't just talk, we went ahead
and did it. He ran his own archive. I still don't like the
way it was run, nor am I happy about the way he pulled it
off back then, but I respect it a lot when people deliver on
the ideas they have.

Don't imply that I don't deliver. I can tar you up the changes that I made if you like, if you need proof. The only reason they are not in the CVS now is because of the changes you made to the CVS layout.

Yeah, I'm sure Guido is going to shut down
ac-archive.sf.net any moment now. That's really the
drift I have been catching from his postings.

I am certain that if the features he (and I and others as
well probably) needs are implemented with the gnu archive
then the SF archive would stop having a purpose and
quietly retire. Why not work towards that and see what
happens?

Because I don't believe it will happen. Guido will never
shut down ac-archive.sf.net; neither would I shut down my
site. I've come to realize that both archives will have to
coexist. And it's good that it is that way, because the
competition between us drives both of us to make our archive
better.

Well, I think it a confusing to the users that there is two archives. But's lets agree to disagree.

If _you_ want to do something, then _you_ want it. Not
"the users". The users are several thousand people all
over the Internet, you've never been designated their
spokes-person.

Someone needs to be the voice of the masses.

I disagree. You have no right to speak as if you knew what
"the masses" want. You quite simply don't know it! With the
same right you speak for the masses, I could say _I_ speak
for them. As a matter of fact, I have been having a LOT more
contact with users of the archive than you did, and everyone
except those rare exceptions here on the list seems to be
pretty enthusiastic, actually.

To all the people I have represented (possibly falsely) in this discussion: Please tell me I'm wrong.

This leaves us at am impasse, so I suggest we both speak for
ourselves.

Guido has responded in agreement to some of my posts and Alexandre likewise, I'll wait till I hear negative feedback from the users and contributors first.

The only person yet to disagree with what I'm saying is
yourself. So, yes as a user and contributor, I will do my
best to represent fellow users and contributors until I
see some differing opinions.

That is some fucked up logic, Tom.

There is no need to swear on a public mailing list. If you wish to swear at me, feel free to do so in private correspondence.

 Let me apply the same
logic. The reason why none of the vast number of users of
the archive says anything is because they realize that your
ideas are totally stupid and because they trust that I won't
do it anyway. So the silent masses are really all on _my_
side, not on yours.

DISCLAIMER: The paragraph above is meant to be thought
about. If you take it literally, you will miss the point.

If someone was pretending to represent me, and their opinions differed from mine, I would speak up.

The SF archive was created (from my understanding)
because Guido needed some features that you would not
allow (or removed, I don't pretend to know the intricate
details) in the gnu archive.

That's not very accurate, to put it carefully.

Well as I said, I don't pretend to know the details.

Even though you dare no admit it, there are issues with
the gnu archive that have resulted in the creation of
another archive.

Yes, and these issues are personal, not technical. So they
have no place in this discussion.

From my understanding the only issues are technical. The reason for the split may have been personal (I won't pretend I know), but the reason for their continued separation is technical.

If you let me help, I think you will be pleasantly
surprised when the SF archive become redundant and
disappears, though sadly after this exchange, I doubt you
would trust me. :(

The reason why I don't trust you, Tom, is not this exchange;
it is the fact that you were ignoring the agreement we had
on how to update the content for the license disclaimer
addition.

I was not ignoring you, I was trying to discuss it with you. There is a big difference. If I was just ignoring you, I wouldn't have mentioned on the list how I was doing the changes, I would have just committed them my way. Please have the courtesy to retract the above statement.

 I have no use for people who change plans without
saying anything, especially if their spontaneous decisions
spoil _my_ plans.

How did anything I committed spoil your plans?

If you had actually committed these changes, I would have
been mad as hell.

And you would have had every right to be.

 So now I am not mad as hell, but I am
still pretty disappointed because I _did_ trust you, did I
not?

Why are you disappointed? I was in control of the changes I made and knew I could switch them to your format at a blink of an eye (which I did).

Yeah, I really needed to be inspired by your staggering
technical expertise. Without the ac-archive-build stuff
that never worked

IT did actually work, and I gave you instructions on how
it worked.

I'll give you a pointer. These instructions you posted
listed, among other things, the command:

 $ ./bootstrap

Now look real hard in the CVS repository.

Once you've done that and realized your mistake, look real
hard at the mailing list archive.

My bad. It's just calls aclocal, automake, autoconf, etc. I was going to say it would have been nice to be told at the time, but judging by below, you did, but I did not receive it.

 Search for a followup of
mine to your instructions. If you actually read it, you'll
find the other problems I reported.

I honestly do no have any such follow up. Can you please point me to the exact email as I think I never received it.

Cheers,

Tom Howard