ac-archive-maintainers

Testing the distribution

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Testing the distribution
Date: 21 Jan 2005 15:15:38 +0100

Hi,

I've had another idea and was wondering whether you think
it's feasible.

In theory, it should be possible to cat(1) all macros we
have in the archive together into one large file and run it
through autoconf(1) without errors, right?

Now assume we had "testing instructions" per macro somewhere
(in the m4 file or in an extra file), then it should be
possible to concatenate those as well and to build a
configure script that runs all macros! Those instructions
would essentially consist of a sample call to the macro that
is supposed to work everywhere.

This "configure-all" script could be built and run as part
of the build process to ensure that no glaring syntax errors
or incompatibilities have sneaked into the macros.

Does that make any sense?

Peter