ac-archive-maintainers

Formatting of options.

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: Formatting of options.
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:52:55 +0100

Hi,

I am looking over the XML-generated HTML of BNV_HAVE_QT one final time, and one of the features was that options to the macro were layed out in a <DL> list, which looks nice. I don't know whether macro's define their options in a uniform way, but if they do, a formatting rule might make it possible to support this in the "new legacy" format.

Say that an option description starts with "--" and has a ":" in it, and possible text following the option descriptions is preceded by a blank line, like so

> dnl Options:
> dnl
> dnl --with-Qt-dir=DIR: DIR is equal to $QTDIR if you have followed the
> dnl installation instructions of Trolltech. Header files are in DIR/include,
> dnl binary utilities are in DIR/bin and the library is in DIR/lib.
> dnl
> dnl --with-Qt-include-dir=DIR: Qt header files are in DIR.
> dnl
> dnl If some option "=no" or, equivalently, a --without-Qt-* version is given
> dnl in stead of a --with-Qt-*, "have_qt" is set to "no" and the other
> dnl variables are set to the empty string.

This can be formatted like so

> <dl>
>     <dt>--with-Qt-dir=DIR</dt>
>     <dd>DIR is equal to $QTDIR if you have followed the
> installation instructions of Trolltech. Header files are in DIR/include,
>      binary utilities are in DIR/bin and the library is in DIR/lib.</dd>
>      <dt>--with-Qt-include-dir=DIR</dt>
>      <dd>Qt header files are in DIR.</dd>
> </dl>
> variables are set to the empty string.

The rules may look something like:
1) The first time a line opens with "dnl --", insert "<dl>".
2) Mark the text starting with "--" upto ":" with "<dt>..</dt>".
3) Mark the text following ":" upto an empty line or a line starting with "--" with "<dt>..</dt>".
4) If the next paragraph does not start with "dnl --", insert "</dl>".

Is this realistic? Of course support for this can be saved for a rainy day.

Cheers,
Bastiaan.