ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Re-licensing your Autoconf Macro

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Re-licensing your Autoconf Macro
Date: 19 Jan 2005 05:07:55 +0100

Steven G Johnson writes:

 > I'm concerned that the proposed license does not disclaim
 > warrantees. This is fine for a README file, but for
 > executable code it seems to be asking for trouble.

It is the recommendation of the FSF:

 | If your package distributes Autoconf macros that are
 | intended to be used (hence distributed) by third-party
 | packages under possibly incompatible licenses, you may
 | also use the above all-permissive license for these
 | macros.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices.html

Since I'm no copyright lawyer, I simply do what I am being
told. ;-)

I really don't see any danger though. We distribute those
macros under GPL, so warranty _has been_ disclaimed when you
get it from here. After that, it's the re-distributors
problem. The license change accommodates for the fact that
Autoconf macros are _supposed_ to be redistributed: as
configure scripts. So the license of the to-be-configured
software should apply, not the one of the Autoconf macro.

Hope this helps in any conceivable way.

Peter