wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Abandon use of gcc attribute 'nonnull' from API (#200)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Abandon use of gcc attribute 'nonnull' from API (#200)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:22:01 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

Good you raise this question @getjff

`wget.h` has it's own definitions of gcc's attributes because we can't just
export gnulib symbols (gnulib is just a portability source code layer). So
instead of `G_GNUC_WGET_NONNULL` we have `WGET_GCC_NONNULL(_ALL)`. The comment
you cite above needs to be changed. (If you are not familiar with Gitlab /
Github / git workflows, creating an MR just for this tiny change seems to be a
good starter.)

Then see the comment at
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/blob/master/include/wget/wget.h#L134.
I think it would be nice to use this attribute when building with scan-build,
clang's static analyzer to find bugs / misuses in our own code. But if people
use libwget we should have NULL checks for input pointer parameters to prevent
any crashes in libwget itself. This possibly needs a reconsideration of the
current API - e.g. it's a good practice to return an error and have pointer
parameters for output/results. Originally, I decided against this to have less
code overhead and thus increased code maintainability. We have to reconsider
this possibly before the first release.

So this turns out to be not a 'junior' task :-)

One thing we could do is to only define `WGET_GCC_NONNULL(_ALL)` when a certain
define is set. E.g. put `#ifdef STATIC_ANALYZE_LIBWGET` around the defines. And
use `CFLAGS=... -DSTATIC_ANALYZE_LIBWGET` when building wget2 in the scan-build
CI image.

@getjff Try to join https://riot.im/app/#/room/#wget:talk.go7box.xyz, a Matrix
channel to talk about wget/wget2 topics. You meet me and @darnir there and can
ask any questions - with a shorter response time than here.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/200#note_634764803