wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Add FTP & FTPS support (#3)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Add FTP & FTPS support (#3)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 12:11:45 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented on a discussion:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/3#note_618714561

Fully agree on "there are use cases where FTP(S) is more convenient than
HTTP(S)".

Re FTPS: it is rarely used in the wild, we had issues to find public
installations when implementing this for wget.

Re security awareness: reality shows that most IT people are not fully aware of
security implications. And even if they do - there is a tendency to ignore
these things. I know security researchers that are really sloppy when it comes
to their private data and habits. And who is using 2FA + hardware tokens in
private ? I do on my work but not on my private equipment (yes, I am guilty
:-)). But the context was sensitive scientific data in a university/research
environment. This data can (potentially) safe lives and may have a high
monetary value (taxes) as well - and thus is in danger of potential attackers.
Using FTP for transferring that data makes me feel uncomfortable. And that is
why I mentioned it.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/3#note_618714561