weechat-dev

[Weechat-dev] [task #12026] /color should have colour pairs hidden by de

From: Filip H.F.
Subject: [Weechat-dev] [task #12026] /color should have colour pairs hidden by default and show extended info instead
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 03:46:33 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name:
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
                IRC nick: FiXato

Details:

The colour pairs don't really seem to have a purpose to most people, and will
actually confuse people because they might think those are the numbers they
need to use to assign colours.
(See log below for an example of such person:)
++++
 <derrida> What do the numbered colors in weechat correspond to? I'm baffled
by /color.
<dominikh> they're the ncurses color pairs created by weechat
<dominikh> the numbers simply correspondent to the pair number. it's an
internal thing, really
 <derrida> well, i guess i'm just having a hard time because it seems (by
looking at /color) that this pairing changes constantly?
<dominikh> only 256 pairs can be assigned. if more are needed, weechat tries
to purge old ones. of course this will not work if you have more than 256
pairs constantly visible; but then you really are using way too many different
colors :)
but then you really are using way too many different colors :)
     <derrida> If I skip around between buffers, /color will show a changing
set between calls. What I'm hoping/looking for is a meaningful way to *know*
what colors correspond to
what numbers.
    <dominikh> what for?
    <dominikh> why would you need the number of the color pair, a thing
internal to weechat and ncurses, something that shouldn't concern you in most
cases?
      <FiXato> derrida, try pressing alt+c in /color
    <dominikh> you do *not* use those numbers for using them in settings
     <derrida> dominikh: seems like a pretty rudimentary request since a good
portion of weechat configuration options are related to assigning colors
    <dominikh> unless you do what FiXato said
    <dominikh> derrida: yes, but they have nothing to do with the color pairs
     <derrida> alt+c is only more puzzling because it demonstrates how
different the numbering is to the shell colors I'm used to
    <dominikh> but do as FiXato said
     <derrida> doing as Fixato said changes my colors for 10 seconds, how does
that help?
      <FiXato> alt-c shows the colour numbers you can use to assign to
elements
     <derrida> o O
      <FiXato> those are the numbers WeeChat uses to create its colour pairs
    <dominikh> those are the color numbers used by your terminal. be quick, or
screenshot it, or use any of the available scripts that display those same
numbers/colors
     <derrida> hmm
     <derrida> so, are the changing pairs at all useful for anything?
    <dominikh> derrida: no, the pairs are not useful for anything if you don't
know the inner workings and are trying to debug something.
----

I think it would be more useful if it would show the extended info by default
instead.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?12026>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/