weechat-dev

[Weechat-dev] [bug #24927] Splitting messages in &bitlbee addresses part

From: Martin Nihlberg
Subject: [Weechat-dev] [bug #24927] Splitting messages in &bitlbee addresses part wrong
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:23:51 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name:
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 0.2.6
                IRC nick:

Details:

Hi,

This is my configuration, please feel free to ask for additional information
and edit category/item group.

Debian Lenny (testing)
Kernel 2.6.26-1-686
Weechat 0.2.6
Bitlbee 1.2.3 @ testing.bitlbee.org
No plugins/scripts added in autoload-folders in ruby/perl/python

nick which is necessary to send the messages to the intended contact.

Detail:
This is not a problem only with Bitlbee, but it's somewhat annoying here.
When you write a very long message it's split in two parts.

Full length on the message (not the example below):
80 words, 395 char (w/ space), 319 char (w/o space)
Part 01/02:
78 words, 386 char (w/ space), 312 char (w/o space)
Part 02/02:
2 words, 8 char (w/ space), 7 char (w/o space)

And in Bitlbee every word without colon is regarded as a command, so when
Weechat split a message in two parts, the first word of the second part is
regarded as a command.

To make this clear, I'm going to write some crap here to a friend and replace
my nick with SENDER and my friends nick with RECEIVER.

[2008-11-25 18:40:13]      @SENDER | RECEIVER: This is a random messages I'm
writing to a friend which is intend to show this show called bug to make it
perfectly clear what I'm talking about. And I have to write some jada jada
here to make it really long and I have absolutely no idea what to write, but
nevermind. I just tell you about an odd thing that happened the other day. Or
maybe not. Okay, I'm hopefully done here soon. Now it's time

[2008-11-25 18:40:13]      @SENDER | for my-favourite-tvshow-Frasier.
[2008-11-25 18:40:15]        @root | Unknown command: for. Please use help
commands to get a list of available commands.

I know the spelling is far from flawless, but if I correct it just here, then
the point with the example will be useless since the message should exactly
when it's split.

If the second part add RECEIVER: in the beginning then it will be correct.
And I think it's a better idea then make an exception so messages aren't split
cause that may lead to other problems if you exceed the limit on how long
message you can send. Then it won't be send at all.

DontAbuseBug

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?24927>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/