weechat-dev

[Weechat-dev] [task #6834] Add 256 color support

From: Chris Jones
Subject: [Weechat-dev] [task #6834] Add 256 color support
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:29:07 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, task #6834 (project weechat):

I uploaded "before and after" screenshots .. weechat with the default colors
.. and weechat with a doctored palette that uses 16 colors that I picked
somewhat randomly out of the available 256 on my xterm .. so you can see with
your own eyes that the difference is dramatic.  I'm not claiming my "theme" is
anywhere near beautiful or anything .. I did not go to art school and only
spent about twenty minutes doing this.  But having access to more colors
makes a heck of a difference .. both for Joe User like myself _and_ for the
image of weechat as a modern text-mode application.  Just take a look at the
"default colors" screenshot .. I know folks who would be embarrassed should
their friends find out that's what they are using.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Chris.

PS. I need to add that this is not entirely my "idea" .. I first saw a
screenshot on a web page by "phrakture" something .. I think the name was ..
who basically used the same trick to change the pathetic default terminal
color palette to something a little more in keeping with 21st century tastes
.. I thought to myself .. heck .. this weechat app looks cool .. It was only
after I installed weechat and had played with it a few days that I realized
how good it is.

My point is .. if I had not seen this screenshot with decent colors in the
first place, I would probably never have bothered installing weechat in the
first place.  Sure, it's possible to tweak your xterm and come up with 16
decent colors for all occasions .. like blue #0000FF" becomes darkkhaki3 or
something .. and who needs more than 16 on a terminal anyway .. but all this
tweaking requires some understanding and practice with X resources and escape
sequences .. So it would be really nice .. and maybe important to have access
to 256 colors out-of-da-box. After all someone may step in who did go to art
school and come up with some really nice color schemes for weechat at some
point.

Thanks
Chris.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6834>