vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Execution of web services by the VRS

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: [Vrs-development] Execution of web services by the VRS
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:03:09 -0700

I need some help here, folks.

So, I'm working on the VRS service manager (the module that
orchestrates the actual fulfillment of external web service
requests).  I'm at a point where I need to figure out just how the
service manager actually invokes a web service.  This of course ties
into the whole execution environment question.

The service manager is a C# program.  Web services (aka executable
data objects / EDO's) should be able to be written in "any language".
These services should be able to be loaded, unloaded, and reloaded in
memory by the service manager.  I see two possibilities:

* A service written in C# or another IL-compatible language should be
able to be loaded via reflection into the same process.  Nice for
efficiency.

* A service written in a native binary format would have to execute in
a separate process.  Hopefully this separate process would be written
to load and not exit until asked to unload or reload...and somehow
the results would need to be efficiently communicated back to the VRS
process.  I'm not sure how this would work.

Any ideas?  I'm willing to postpone the second and concentrate on the
first, which should be as easy as defining a "VRSService" or "VRSEDO"
or "VRSWebService" or some such interface, with methods like
"serve()", which web services would have to implement.

Please share any thoughts...

eric

PS: Cross-posting to DotGNU dev maillist for greater visibility...
--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi