vrs-development

Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] back to vrs

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] back to vrs
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:32:10 +0100

On Thursday 11 July 2002 03:14, you wrote:
> ian, welcome back ... there hasn't been much activity here for the
> past month or two.  There are not really any currently active threads
> -- I just posted something a couple days ago saying I'm ready to get
> back into things and help, but I haven't heard back from Chris about
> it yet.

Sorry - I've been stupendously busy the last few months with
day-job-paid-work :o) and have only had change to potter around with
Goldwater a bit.
Bill's been off ill (and I hope he's doing well).

I was going to suggest pulling back a little and assessing where we currently
are with things, just so we're all on the correct foot.

I'd like to get something that will serve and execute webservices (without
being distributed just yet......)

This will involve some notion of a 'dataset' object - the C# etc executable
and its associated data payload.  Bill and I thought that the data payload
should appear (through the API) as a 'real' filesystem - so your webservice
written in C# just accesses this virtual filesystem.
This will mean that most standalone systems written in C# (or whatever
language) will work 'out of the box' so long as their associated data is
available.

If we did this, then the Resource Manager API would need to be sorted out,
even if the resources served by the initial release of the RM are not
distributed but just come off disk.
The cluster manager ties into the RM a bit, but I don't think it's too much
to forget about it for now (with regards to getting something working).
I've been discussing pInvoke with Rhys and Gopal a bit, in terms of creating
C# Goldwater bindings so stuff can be writting in C# as well as C/C++, perl
and Java (cue Eric).

We need to design some implimentable black box modules that can start to
become something concrete and executable.  People will have something to
download and play with then, and *should* encorage further investment from
others.
Well that's my theory.

Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.