vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] new to vrs

From: Ian Fung
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] new to vrs
Date: 04 Jul 2002 15:08:33 -0500

> Cool.  (Just a note - foreground colour is defaulting to black so you get
> black text on a black background with quite a few browsers.... quite an easy
> thing to miss - I do it all the time!)
ya, thanks. to be perfectly honest, i have no patience for html. i dunno
why. i'll be changing my page someday to something more presentable, but
i had threw it up there so potential employers can check out my resume.

> Are you familiar with application development using a middleware?
yes. although i do not claim to be any good at it =). last semester my
friend and i wrote a p2p application development toolkit in java. it
mainly consisted of a middleware layer to handle "intelligent" anything
that a p2p app developer would want. so you write modules of algorithms
and you can plug them into a framework, string them up, and write
gnutella in a week. we were trying to take the p2p part out of the dev
process.

> What interests you?

Cluster Management and Resource Management. I read on the webpage that
the design is suppose to sync remote files and do all this neat stuff.
basically things that would create the illusion of a single server. I am
interested in helping designing and/or implementing those.

I'm not saying I refuse to work on the third part, but from what I
understood from what you said, it seems like the third part is just for
compatibility with the rest of world right?

> No decision on implementation language has been made yet.
> I'll stand up and fight anyone with C/C++/Perl etc, but I must confess to
> being a Java/C# pussy  (I've a C# book now though!).  Time and work pressures
> really dictate my limited venture into these areas.

well if its middleware, wouldnt we want to roll it out in more than one
language? either way my vote is Java/C# because it will help keep us in
line with the design while developing a middleware. also i think it will
help us spot problems in the design if they should come up.

> If we go down the Java route, I'll catch up I'm sure.
its ok, i dont know anything about C# cept its java with pointers and
delegates.

so now i have an idea of what vrs consists of. where can i look at the
details? are there design docs, code, anything? if there is i would like
to check it out before starting.

thanks,

ian