vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] reliability of the repository

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] reliability of the repository
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since we are thinking of a distributed file system,
> how are we planning to sync
> all the blocks which are spread around the VRS
> cluster? Suppose one of the
> remote blocks get corrupted, what happens next?

Each Cluster Block has a checksum calculated and
stored in the Pointer Table of  the Cluster Image.
When a Mirror Block is retrieved, it is checked agains
the check sum.  It it fails, it is discarded, another
Mirror block is retrieved untill a good one is found,
then the corrupted blocks are repaired with the
correct image.

> According to the Documentation , the repository on
> the LDS serve as minor block
> storage. What happens if and when the LDS wants to
> go offline? What happens if
> the LDS storing some of the blocks goes down
> abruptly?

If properly balanced, no one LDS should ever have the
only copy of a Cluster Block.  When one drops, it's
entries in the Pointer Table are removed and the table
rebalanced if necessary