vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] VRS development language

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] VRS development language
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:03:21 -0400

There are a lot of people who won't buy into this idea of
security/safety (in general, the equating of security with
virtualization), until a clear distinction is made between
security/safety and content control.

Until then, people should be allowed to shoot themselves in
the foot.

Bill Gates' "internal" email emphasizing security went out
nearly the same day that Representative Boucher endorsed the
National Academy of Sciences' "Cybersecurity"
recommendations (authored by a committee that included
Microsoft).  The only part of those recommendations that
made the press was the part that said to hold software
vendors liable for security deficiencies.  The general spin
was that the idea would be a way to "get Microsoft," which
is laughable.

However, the rest of the recommendations include language
very compatible with Senator Hollings' idea of building
content control into logic devices.  Also note Microsoft's
recently revealed patent on a digital "rights management"
operating system.  In addition, Microsoft's current WSDL
work is basically creating a messaging architecture for the
Internet, in a move clearly analogous to the way they
fomented Windows -- emphasizing OOP and the technical
advantages of a messaging kernel while not revealing the
complete set of messages built in.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright: