vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Ready to help

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Ready to help
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:15:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eric Altendorf <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is the role of the service manager framework?

The Services Manager does the real work of the VRS. It
provides net services to the network, but from a
managed sandbox.  Think of it as a complete network
server, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, JABBER, J2EE, whatever. The
protocols supported are modular.  It most likely will
incorportate existing GPL compatable software such as
apache, wuftp. etc. wrapped into a secured shell.

There are several basic questions here I think.  The
first is how to organize the software components in an
LDS to support this function.  The second is to insure
that all Cluster LDS nodes have the same set of
services.

> I could work on the cluster administration stuff,
> but the fact is I don't
> have much background in the mechanics of distributed
> computation, and only a
> little background in the security/authentication
> stuff that would be
> involved.  I've written business EJBs that can run
> on distributed EJB server
> clusters, but that's a whole different thing. :-)

It may not be different at all.  I am talking about
the 'business logic' level of the VRS system.  We need
to detail the 'business logic' of the subscription
process, the service registration process and the
login process.