vrs-development

OT: learning curve (was Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and th

From: S11001001
Subject: OT: learning curve (was Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib and the VRS, SEE and other server concepts)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:19:11 -0600

Norbert Bollow wrote:
I can't really help you with that kind of question.  The
Microsoft Windows system has always been a mystery to me.
Why can't they ship their OS with proper documentation in
the form of source code? :-)

I learned more about GNU in my first 6mos of use than I did in the 7 previous years of working in Windows (before that it was DOS...).

The hardest thing is GUI's, since every widget set has its
own peculiarities.  The next hardest is audio and other forms
of multimedia.  Usually it isn't worth trying to solve this
problem unless you have something like Java AWT around
to take care of the icky details.

But unless another project does this work for us, we'll
eventually need to address the hard issues of creating
portable free libs for these things.

Unfortunately, that's one of those "Do I have to [implement a portable GUI library] mommy?" things. ;)

--
Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The Labs.
        -- Dennis Ritchie