vrs-development

Re: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More info

From: Open Source
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Vrs-development] More info
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:19:13 -0800 (PST)

> This is the biggest blank spot at this point.  Let
> me
> summarize, from the top down, what's been said about
> it so far.  None of this has been cast in stone,
> except the first part.
>
> First and for most, we need to reaffirm our prime
> directive.  Security and Privacy are primary
> objective.

We have working on that for a quite a bit

> Now, I thinking that the most significant
> implication
> of this for the Services Manager is that the LDS
> host
> machine has to be very strongly isolated from any
> access to the hosts machines resources.  We need an
> iron and concrete sandbox.

How do we plan to implement the sandbox. Something
similiar to the running Java applets in a browser
environment using ACL files.

> We think that a modular, plugin framework is the
> best
> general approach.

Considering that we are implementing an array of
features and with more to be added as we progress,
modular approach is the best bet.

> We've identified three levels of service, 1) static
> file services, i.e. ftp and static http,
> 2)crossplatform, IL compnent netservice, i.e. PNet.
> 3)Everything else, i.e. dynamic http and scripting
> support.
>
> What levels we can support depends largely on the
> Repository file structure design.  A simple file
> storage model supports 1).  A truely free standing
> encapsulated dataset with both IL logic and data
> will
> suport 2).  A total inode model with a hiearchial
> file
> system will support 3).
An unix style filesystem with high performance and
reliability is a good one (basically an ideal file
system)

> We are looking to bring up apachie first.

Are we talking about the Apache run time system or the
entire web server?

> We have talked a bit about a chroot environment
> running as a dedicated user.

Check this out

http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html

> The issue of using any system using dynamic linking
> libraries outside the sandbox has been worried
> about.
If u don't mind a recap, how do u plan to avoid this?

> And that's about as far as we have gotten to date, I
> think.  Unless Chris remembers something I've missed
> here.
>
> Oh, also, I don't think there is any reason in hell
> consider ever running this in a MS environment.

Not at this stage, we might as well make it a very
viable alternative to MS passport stratergy. :-)

-Morphius