Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understan

From: rempas
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can a biggener (and idiot) like me read and understand TCC's backend so I can create my own frontend with it?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 21:04:08 +0100 (CET)

27 Ιαν 2022, 00:13 Από tinycc-devel@nongnu.org:

> If your language is quite different from C, and you wish to make a fast
> compiler, I would suggest building  the compiler yourself. If you can make
> EBNF of the langage syntax, your frontend is almost done. Take some fast
> parser generator. I strongly recommend Coco/R because it generates easy to
> understand and fast parser code and suipports different programming languages.
> The Compiler Generator Coco/R (jku.at)
> <https://ssw.jku.at/Research/Projects/Coco/>

Thank you! I will look it out!

> What is here interesting, you can add code in your favorite language to be
> executed after any syntax element is recognized inside (.    .)  brackets. It
> may be storing new variables during the declaration into the table ,
> recognizing the variable already in the table or machine code
> generating. It is relatively easy to generate assembly code, but it is not
> the fastest way to execute

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about here. Can you
please explain me?

> In a case of machine code, you need to know also about executable format
> (headers and sections), instruction encoding and code patching in case of
> jumps.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking and I would like to find a book or something
that will show how to do that properly. At least the basic ones cause like I
said, it is very very hard to read references when you don't know anything in
this topic!