Re: [Texmacs-dev] Embedding of TeXmacs documents in PDF

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Embedding of TeXmacs documents in PDF
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:15:19 +0800

Thanks for the port! There are many bug fixes in Mogan which should be ported back to TeXmacs.

For Tangdouer's PDF project, we'd better also upgrade the PDFWriter later. I don't know if tangdouer's code work fine with the old PDF Writer.

https://github.com/galkahana/PDF-Writer/pull/240

This is the most important bug fix for CJK fonts especially for Noto CJK fonts. Upgrade to the latest PDF Writer and then we can set the default CJK fonts to Noto CJK on GNU/Linux. And then, for Chinese TeXmacs users, they no longer need to download the fandol font and then make TeXmacs work with Chinese characters.

However, upgrading the PDF Writer will lead to build failure on old Linux distributions. Because the latest PDF Writer requires a newer freetype library.

---- On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:35:38 +0800 Massimiliano Gubinelli <m.gubinelli@gmail.com> wrote ---

Dear all,

  I’ve started to prepare a patch for TeXmacs which will allow to embed/extract TeXmacs documents from a PDF file. My need for this is due to the fact that it is currently not very easy to put the orginal TeXmacs document in arXiv alongside the PDF. ArXiv accepts PDF but not auxiliary files. This new mechanism, developed in Mogan, will allow to transmit the source with the PDF, this is also useful in contexts where one needs a preview of the document without opening TeXmacs.

The current implementation is here:

based on work of @tangdouer1005 during the OSPP summer of code 2023 initiative. I made minimal changes to make it compatible with TeXmacs and also embed the bibliographic info. This is still experimental but it is working fine. To test it you have available two new menu items in “Import” and “Export”.

Comments are welcome.

Best
Max