[Texmacs-dev] Summer of Code (OSPP) in 2023

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Summer of Code (OSPP) in 2023
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 00:07:32 +0800

Here is the unbrella topic:
http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/summer-for-code-for-xmacslabs-in-2023/1372

We are in stage 2 (2023-04-04 ~ 2023-04-28):
http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/summer-of-code-stage-2-2023-04-04-2023-04-28/1388

There are only two mentors registered. According to the guide of OSPP, there must be 1 mentor for 1 project with 1 student.

We need more mentors, because there are three students now who have contacted me via Wechat. And there will be more students on the TeXmacs forum later.

Distributing the fork of GNU TeXmacs (Mogan Editor) is not the goal of XmacsLabs. Using GNU TeXmacs/Mogan Editor is more important than developing GNU TeXmacs/Mogan Editor for XmacsLabs. But now, GNU TeXmacs/Mogan Editor is not good enough. We still need to focus on improving GNU TeXmacs/Mogan Editor in 2023.

For now, there are 11 official members of the XmacsLabs:
We just voted for the new member, so, the number of member just increased from 10 to 11. And for now, all official members can speak in Chinese and are located in different countries on earth, we meet online every two weeks.
We are trying to vote again for the students who will participate in the Summer of Code projects and want to join XmacsLabs. And also, we will try to attract new members who does not speak Chinese.

But for now, the planet project (https://github.com/XmacsLabs/planet) is not ready for people who does not know the Chinese language. We are encouraging the member to submit the documents to the planet in their own mother tongue but not only in English.

A mentor must be a GNU TeXmacs developer who are very familiar with the code base, but he/she is not required to join XmacsLabs.

Let us witness the Renaissance of GNU TeXmacs in the near future!