Re: [Texmacs-dev] proper underline

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] proper underline
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 11:16:45 +0100

Hi Joris,

 yes, I agree with you.

I do not see a general solution. In most of the cases however I'm willing to sacrifice generality to have a higher quality text-mode underline and leave the current underline as a backup.

1) Would it be possible to implement an "underlined font variant" maybe using a virtual font and combining glyphs with the "_" glyph, which I noticed it is at the right distance (and maybe designed for this purpose in the old ages...)? We need a way to mask certain parts of the underline, so that not all the underline is inking the device. This would solve the problem with backgrounds and avoid my hacky solution.

2) subscripts will pose a problem, indeed, but maybe one can safely assume that when a subscript is present the underline will be covered, so there is nothing to do there.

3) Ideally the approach I was using would also work for more general markup, it could work if we (and the PDF) have a "mask" operation which works at the vectorial level. I need to check what are the operations you implemented for virtual fonts.

Max