Re: [Texmacs-dev] proper underline

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] proper underline
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 23:33:42 +0100

Hi Max,

Yes, I have also been thinking about this problem, which is quite tricky.
There are various difficulties:

  - If we want things to print nicely, then we need a vectorial solution.
    So if we do pixel magic, it must still be vectorial pixel magic.

  - It is problematic if to fatten our fonts using the background color,
    since the background might be a pattern or we might painting on top
    of something else.

  - What should underlining do on more complex markup (a fraction,
    a text with a subscript or superscript, etc.)?

Or do we simply sacrifice some of the things that we might want?

Best wishes, --Joris