Re: [Texmacs-dev] appimages

From: Giovanni Piredda
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] appimages
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 17:50:53 +0100

On 28.11.20 14:58, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
Hi all,
I'm not very knowegeable in this stuff, but in the meanwhile I've prepared an appimage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn8w5ebzo59pg5d/GNU_TeXmacs-1.99.16-x86_64.AppImage?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn8w5ebzo59pg5d/GNU_TeXmacs-1.99.16-x86_64.AppImage?dl=0>

it seems to work (superficially) on my virtual Ubuntu.

Can somebody try it and tell me if it is ok also for them. I will add the build recipe to the svn soon (this does not interfere in any way with the other build procedures).

On Xubuntu 20.10 I obtain the error

execv error: Permission denied

Permissions are set to -rwxrwxr-x

Of course then each and every distribution can provide a specific fine tuned package. But we do not have the resources to maintain all those packages (and in my opinion we are not supposed to, not at least, centrally). Unfortunately our dependence on guile 1.8 makes things more complicated than needed... But the transition to Guile 3.0 will not be fast, even if it is underway. It might well take another 1-2 year. Alvaro, to me nothing is comparable to the ease of just downloading a single file and running it. Most users (e.g. some of my students) are not willing to spend time to learn a new tool (e.g. the guix package manager) just to try to run TeXmacs.

Probably it could be enough a package for Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, Fedora (I do not find installation statistics, so I am guessing). Hopefully someone that knows how to do these things can help out (helping with one of the distributions might be affordable for someone who is familiar with it).

Having the package in the standard repositories in addition to the other options will convince someone to try the program.

G.