Re: CSS file for texinfo HTML output

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: CSS file for texinfo HTML output
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 23:47:25 GMT

Hi Assaf,

   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/datamash.git/tree/doc/datamash-texinfo.css

Thanks.  It would be nice to have this on the Texinfo web page.

0) The second line of the file should say "Texinfo" rather than "TexInfo".

1) I don't want to comment on esthetics, but I have to say: forcing a
font size of 16 pixels is, IMNSHO, just plain wrong!  Your page looks
badly reduced in my browser, since I use a large font to help my aging
eyes.  I strongly think fonts should be left to the user -- no CSS file
can know better than the user what font s/he needs to use.  Admittedly
this deplorable font-changing behavior is widespread nowadays, but that
doesn't make it right, especially for technical pages like ours.

In the alternative, if you feel you must override font sizes for some
crazy reason, at least use pt or em instad of px.  px measurements,
except when related to something actually pixel-based, like image size,
are bad, because they do not adjust to the user's display environment.
Your pixel is not the same as my pixel is not the same as ...

2) I guess I can't resist saying that IMHO changing color just to
indicate typewriter also seems pretty detrimental to reading to me.  But
this is just opinion.  font-size:16px being bad is a fact :).

Best,
Karl